Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New Diet

Post Up-date: A few of you have also asked what type of protein bars I eat. I actually buy my protein bars from the diet clinic. However, one of my friends who has been on the diet before stuck to South Beach bars and snacks. I will definitely research a few types of protein bars and let you know. Also, if you have a favorite protein bar let me know. I love trying new things!


A few of you asked me to share my new diet with you. Before I begin, I want to let you know that I am going to a diet clinic where the diet is suggested and monitored by a doctor. I also have consulted my regular physician about the diet. I say this because no matter what diet you follow, it is important that the diet is safe and practical for you. Just because this diet is a good fit for me does not mean it is appropriate for everyone.

Also, with the diet being monitored by a doctor I am prescribed diet pills. Diet pills are very controversial, and are definitely not a subject to be taken lightly. I have tried this diet with and without the diet pills. Some weeks I have chosen to try the pills and other weeks I have chosen to diet without the pills. It works both ways. Again, you have to have a prescription for diet pills, but I would never, ever take the pills without talking in depth with your doctor about the risks and possible side effects. Wow! I am beginning to sound like a drug commercial.

With my warning and cautions aside-here is my new diet!

Monday-Friday-I eat six small meals or you can look at it as 3 small meals and three snacks. My eating schedule is as follows:

Morning Meal-A protein bar (around 200 calories) (You want your protein bar to be high in fiber, but make sure to watch the carb count. You don't want your carb count on the bar to be more than twice the amount of protein. Most of my bars have 15g of protein and 21 grams of carbs)

Morning Snack-Lowfat dairy product, nuts, or fruit (100 calories). My favorite snacks are low fat string cheese, low fat yogurt, or almonds.

Afternoon Meal-Protein bar

Afternoon Snack-see morning snack options

Evening meal-Any type of low fat dinner. I usually have a Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers frozen meal. You can also have a baked chicken breast with veggies. (400 calories)

Evening snack-see morning snack options

Friday at dinner-Sunday at dinner-You are free to eat whatever you want. Now, don't go overboard with this and pig out on everything. You still want to eat reasonably, but you don't have to be strict.

A few diet notes:
*There are many times that I go out to eat for lunch with my coworkers. I firmly believe that any diet you are on has to be maintainable, so when I do go to lunch with my coworkers I usually just order a side salad with light dressing or a side of veggies.
*It is also important to take a multi vitamin every day.
*Exercise three times a week for thirty minutes.
*You can also substitute. For example if you want to go out to lunch with the girls on Thursday and eat whatever you want, then you can eat a protein bar for one meal during the weekend.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. If you are in Georgia and you are interested in going to the diet clinic, I will be happy to give you the contact information.

I know this diet sounds strange and strict, but it is definitely working for me. I have an under active thyroid and an extremely slow metabolism-Not even being Weight Watchers and gym faithful was working for me. This diet is definitely helping speed up my metabolism and finally helping me drop some weight. It sounded extreme to me too and that is why I was so careful to consult my own physician. This diet has been my answer to many months/years of extreme frustration about my weight and my body. I don't want this just to be a fad diet for me, so I am committed to adjusting the diet to meet my lifestyle needs (and adjusting my lifestyle to meet my diet needs).

13 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thanks for sharing. I am glad it is working for you. Dieting is always hard, for me anyways, and I proud of you for sticking with it. Keep us updated on your progress.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. What brands of bars do you eat?

AVONLadyinSC said...

I've done a very similiar diet under the supervision of a dr and personal trainer. It really works, it's hard and you have to have alot of self-discipline but I felt so much better after about a week of doing it. Good luck, you can do it :)

Brittney said...

Thanks for sharing. I am always up for new diets.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! Hope you have the best results {even though I think you are pretty snazzy just the way you are}!! = )

Miss Jody said...

Yes, this really works..my lil' sis did this..amazingly works!
Good for you :)

Anonymous said...

What is your program? I was just diagnosed my self and really struggling- Live at the gym everyday and it will not come off. How do the diet pills effect your thyroid medication. Would love to speak with you not on your blog.

Ink Obsession Designs said...

I'm glad you shared! I'm trying to eat mini meals during the day now myself. I think it really helps!

Mrs. Potts said...

I'm glad you consulted with a doctor. There are so many programs out there (both diet & exercise) that people start without any discussion of how it could affect them medically. Good call :)

I think you're pretty fab already, but if it makes you more confident, go for it!

Gwen said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. I also do the splurges on the weekend but with following a WW diet during the week. Well...most weeks not so much this one. LOL!!! Keep up the great work!!! XOXO

Jill said...

Just sent you an email to your yahoo..... inquiring minds want to know!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to know what kind of protein bars you eat, too!

Anonymous said...

I think that is awesome you are doing this under the care of a doctor!