Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hamburger Pie

Last night I made a dish that reminds me of my childhood. My mom always made hamburger pie, and we loved it! Technically, I think it is a quiche, but my mom was smart enough to call it pie. A kid will eat something called pie ten times faster than something called quiche! :)

This recipe is super easy. Like I have said before, if I can make it anyone can! You should give it a try!

You will need:
*a frozen pie shell
*1/2 cup of milk
*1/2 pound of ground beef
*1.5 cups of cheddar cheese
*onion
*bell pepper
*2 eggs
*salt
*pepper

Directions:
*Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
*Brown your ground beef
*Dice desired amount of onion and bell pepper (for one pie I use 1/4 onion and 1/2 bell pepper)
*Sautee onion and bell pepper
*Grate cheese if not already shredded
*Mix ground beef, cheese, eggs, milk, onion, and bell pepper together in a bowl.
*Add salt and pepper as desired.
*Pour mixture into pie shell
*Bake for 35 minutes

Side note: This is one dish that makes incredible left overs! I usually double the recipe and make two "pies". When I make two pies, I usually use 1/2 of an onion and one whole bell pepper.

Weight Watcher Note: You can make this recipe a little more WW friendly by using fat free or skim milk, lean ground beef, and a low fat cheese. Oh, and I guess you could use egg substitute, but I am not sure how that would taste. Live a little-use real eggs! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds YUMMY! I will def try this.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! This sounds so good! We might just have this for dinner tomorrow night!! :P Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Tara said...

Sounds great! I'll be sure to add it to my list of recipes to try!

Whitney said...

Sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

jlc said...

Omg YES!! So weird I was just having this conversation today with my students.

They're learning food in French and didn't know what a quiche was!! As I was explaining they were like


"Well that doesn't sound like pie!" haha!

The Watermelon Tree said...

This sounds really good! Question thought, is it really eggy? I am not a huge fan of eggs but I can eat them if it isn't really eggy!

texaslauren77 said...

This sounds great!! And it also sounds easy to put together! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jules said...

Hubby loves when I make this. I do it a little different though and make it with bisquick. Either way I am sure it's great :)

Swamp Sisters: 77 Day Journey said...

Yum! That sounds so delicious and comforting! I'm printing it so I can take my list to the store and make this tonight!

amy (metz) walker said...

Yum, sounds great!!!